The Annual Debating Championship was established by The Ministry of Education for all Senior High Schools during the 1998 – 1999 academic year, on the occasion of the twenty-fifth anniversary of the Treaty of Chaguramas which established the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) and Common Market. The Debating Championship is conducted annually and engages all secondary students from government and independent schools, graders 10 to 12.
National Debating Championship Objectives
- To serve as an educational function that fosters the development of research skills.
- To promote positive interaction among students.
- To increase enthusiasm and encourage team work.
- To develop the ability to construct sentences for use in the delivery and presentation of the spoken language
- To build self-esteem and self confidence in students, while identifying the best debaters in our educational system.