National Library and Information Services/UNESCO
Library Cadet Programme
Job shadowing in Public Libraries
Name of Position: Library Page
Download the Cadet Programme Application Form in Microsoft Word Format.
Reports to: Library Supervisor
- Projects a positive and pleasant attitude to the public and cooperates and maintains an effective relationship with other staff members as part of a team.
- Shelves library materials.
- Locates requested items.
- Puts books in order on shelves.
- Assists staff with checking materials for damage and removing them from the shelves.
- Stamps and pockets new materials for circulation.
- Stamps date due cards.
- Adheres to library policies and procedures.
- Performs any other tasks as requested.
Students grades ten to twelve (10-12); high school education in progress.
The library page must be able to file materials within the appropriate classification scheme, particularly the Dewey Decimal Classification System with Cutters.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions in English at an eigth (8th) grade level.
- An awareness of the purposes and functions of the public library and the ability to learn routine library procedures.
- Ability to courteously refer patrons/clients to the appropriate service desk or area.
- Ability to push and pull library book trucks.
- Carry up to fifteen pounds (15 lbs) of books across the library.
- Stand for a long time in one area.
- Bend and stretch to reach high and low shelves.